IMPORTANT NEWS AND UPDATES
Help Us Shape Clifton Corridor!
Scoping Meetings are being held Dec. 4 and Dec. 9, 2014 - for details click here!
Get the most updated maps, poster, factsheet and flyer - in printable form!
The Clifton Corridor Transit Initiative is MARTA’s proposed light rail line linking the Lindbergh and Avondale Stations. The light rail line will provide service to one of the region’s most congested areas – and biggest job centers – serving Emory University, Emory Hospital, the Centers for Disease Control, Children’s Healthcare, and Veteran’s Administration Hospital.
COMMUNITY NEEDS/PROJECT PURPOSE:
- Better transit access for a growing job center
- Region’s only major employment center without access to an interstate or high-capacity transit
- Employment is already greater than downtown Atlanta – and is expected to grow by 60 percent, or approximately 65,000 jobs, in the next 25 years
- Improved Access to the MARTA Rail System
- MARTA’s Lindbergh and Avondale stations anchor the Clifton Corridor, providing connection points to the Red and Gold (North) Lines and the Blue (East) Line
- MARTA connections mean better access to regional job centers and destinations for residents as well as wider access to talent pools for employers
- Improved Area Connectivity
- Zero-vehicle households, the elderly, and students use transit as a primary mode for trips
- CDC, Emory University, and Emory Hospital have expansions planned and/or underway and the Cheshire Bridge corridor is also experiencing marked growth
- Increased Options for Emergency Evacuation and Transport
- Today’s roads cannot provide quick evacuation due to inadequate capacity
- The Clifton Corridor links numerous hospitals and clinics offering alternative means to access essential facilities during inclement weather
CLIFTON CORRIDOR Timeline
- Alternatives Analysis - Completed in 2012
- Light-rail transit (LRT) and preliminary alignment selected and approved by MARTA Board
- Environmental Impact Statement - 2014 - 2017
- Identify, evaluate, address, and document impacts of selected alignment
- Project Justication and Approval - Pending, typically takes approx. 1 year
- Define cost-effective project
- Develop funding and financing plan
- Secure funding
- Final Design - Pending, typically takes approx. 2 - 3 years
- Project Construction - Pending, typically takes approx. 3 - 6 years
- Service Begins
- Like us on Facebook
- Send comments, questions, ideas and concerns to the Clifton Corridor Project Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
In coordination with…