In light of the current weather conditions the Tuesday, September 12, 2017 MARTA Accessibility Committee meeting has been cancelled. The MAC meeting will be rescheduled in October.
Thank you and please be safe.
The Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) is seeking candidates to fill a member seat on the MARTA Accessibility Committee (MAC). The MAC is an advisory committee made up of citizens and advocacy agencies representing seniors and various disabilities in
the MARTA service area. The committee meets to discuss and recommend solutions to transportation-related issues for both seniors and persons with disabilities. MARTA is seeking a variety of members who will be able to work closely with the Authority, Advocacy Groups, and the community to
ensure that seniors and individuals with disabilities, have a voice in the decision making process as it relates to public transportation. This is an unpaid, volunteer position with terms ending on December 31, 2019.
Role of a MAC Member: MAC members must actively seek input from a broad range of riders on operational and budgetary issues that affect MARTA riders. Each member is expected to provide comprehensive advice recommendation and suggestions to MARTA on ways to resolve and address items brought forth for
the improvement of the MARTA system for all riders. Membership on an ADA-focused committee requires a high degree of diplomacy and knowledge of the ADA. We are currently seeking an individual representative of the following area of expertise:
- Strong organizational and communication skills, both written and public speaking
- Community-focused individual with advocacy experience
- Experienced team player who is a forward/out of the box thinker
- Keen interest and previous involvement in working with seniors and individuals with disabilities
- Networking and relationship-building
Deadline: Interested candidates must complete an application and submit 2 letters of recommendation to Mr. David Scarbor, Diversity Outreach Specialist, at
or by fax 404-848-4302, or mail to 2424 Piedmont Road, NE, Atlanta, GA 30324, by
September 29, 2017 at 5:00 pm. Questions about the position should also be directed to Mr. Scarbor at 404-848-4058.
The MAC was established to assist MARTA by:
- Connecting MARTA and the diverse communities it serves to achieve a greater awareness of the transportation need of seniors and persons with disabilities.
- Developing and suggesting procedures to identify and correct potential accessibility deficiencies in facilities, programs, services and communications.
- Advising MARTA on issues surrounding individuals with disabilities and seniors and recommending appropriate steps.
- Providing recommendations to improve access to MARTA programs and services.
Parker – Committee Chairperson
Brad Fain – Principal Research Scientist, Chief, Human Factors Program Office – GA Tech Research Institute
Gasaway – Representing the Hearing Impaired
Presley – Project Manager of Professional Development, American Foundation for the Blind
Reynolds – Representing the Blind
Stinson – Representing Cognitive/Developmental Disabilities
Taylor – Representing the Seniors
Urrea – Representing Personal Mobility Aid/Wheelchair User
III. 2017 MAC Meeting Schedule
All regularly scheduled MAC meetings will be held in the Travel Training Center Presentation Area, beginning at 9:30 AM – 11:00 AM at the following address:
MARTA Headquarters Building Atrium
2424 Piedmont Rd., NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
- January 10, 2017
- March 14, 2017
- May 9, 2017
- July 11, 2017
- September 12, 2017
- November 14, 2017