MARTA is dedicated to making public transportation accessible to everyone, regardless of disability. We are proud to say that all of our 91 bus routes are equipped with wheelchair lifts or kneeling capabilities. In addition, MARTA operates Mobility services for qualified riders. See below for details.
We provide priority seating for our senior citizens and persons with disabilities at the front of every bus. Each rail station is 100 percent accessible with special, wide faregates for persons with disabilities. Escalators and elevators are located between the rail, bus and street levels at each station. Each train has a special wheelchair space at one end of each rail car.
This site has been constructed to meet Federal Section 508 standards. In addition, special features have been added to the pages to make access via screen reader or Personal Digital Assistant (PDA) more convenient.
Special Features have been incorporated in every page to enable quick access to page contents and other pages in the site.
- A "skip navigation" link at the start of every page jumps past all site and section navigation directly to the page heading and content (note that some pages include navigation links below this heading).
- For those using browsers that support the Access key control, the footer link section can be accessed by hitting "Alt-slash" and then "return" (or enter). The footer text links lead to the home pages of each section of the site, from which you can navigate quickly to any other page.
- All text formatting is done via structural descriptions to allow screen readers to convey information such as headings and emphasis.
- All images have appropriate description attributes. For purely cosmetic images the attribute is blank, while for very complex images separate, linked text descriptions are provided.
- Forms make use of tab-index controls so that you can use the tab key to quickly access the form elements on the page.
- All interactive elements that are practical for use with screen readers have been updated to work optimally via keyboard-only control.
Route schedule timetables for buses and trains now exist in two versions. The traditional table-format version continues to be available, and we have added versions optimized for site visitors using a screen reader to access the content. These alternative versions are available from the link title "accessible" following the link for the traditional version.
The accessible versions present route schedule information in two formats, by-stop and by-run. The by-stop listings present the time that a given bus is at each of a handful of key stops on the route. The by-run listing presents each full run of the bus, listing in order the time during each run that it is at each of those same key stops. We hope that these presentations will better enable our customers to plan their travel on MARTA.
MARTA is committed to demonstrating through all of its programs and activities a fully accessible transportation system (bus, rail, MARTA Mobility, facilities, and communications). It is not only essential, but attainable.
Therefore, materials that MARTA makes routinely available to the public, including but not limited to, bus and rail schedules, system maps and customer guides, are available in alternative formats, upon request, by calling MARTA’s Office of Diversity and Equal Opportunity at 404-848-4037. You may also call the Telephone Device for the Deaf at 404-848-5665. Depending on the nature of the request, the alternative formatted material will be made available to the requesting party within ten (10) business days of the request. Alternative formats include: Braille, large print, audio cassette and electronic data diskettes.
In an effort to support the Federal Transit Administration’s (FTA) goal to increase their outreach to consumers having difficulty accessing public transportation, MARTA has listed FTA toll free numbers for customers, disabled community advocates or the general public to call with concerns regarding public transit accessibility. The FTA numbers are as follows:
If you have a suggestion or a comment about our services, please call MARTA’s Customer Service Center at (404) 848-5000. You may also write to:
MARTA Customer Service Center
2424 Piedmont Road, NE
Atlanta, Georgia 30324-3330
Specific details help MARTA thoroughly address your suggestions and comments. Please include the following information when calling or writing:
- Name, address and telephone number
- Day and time of experience
- Vehicle number and/or driver’s name, if applicable
- Reservation or Agent’s name, if concerning a telephone conversation
- Explanation of incident, suggestion or comment